- Graduate in biology (2001); Doctorate in ecology (2009-); Awarded a scientific research grant (2001-2007).
- Senior environmental consultant (2007-2009); Senior technical manager in local government (2009).
- Member of the executive committee of the PCP regional organisation in Lisbon (2006-).
- Member of the Senate of Lisbon University and the executive council of the Faculty of Science at Lisbon University (1999-2000).
- Portuguese representative in Eurodol (www.eurodol.net); (2003-2004); President of the Association of Scientific Research Grant Holders – ABIL (2003-2007)
- Partido Comunista Português - MEPs - Portugal
- EP Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly - Member
- EP Delegation to the EU-Kazakhstan, EU-Kyrgyzstan, EU-Uzbekistan and EU-Tajikistan Parliamentary Cooperation Committees and for relations with Turkmenistan and Mongolia - Substitute
- Committee on Transport and Tourism - Member
- Committee on Fisheries - Coordinator
- Committee on Environment, Public Health and Food Safety - Substitute