- Master’s degree (Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague, 1976); holder of the postgraduate qualification ‘Candidate of Sciences’ (ICT, Prague, 1989). Glass-making engineer, factory manager, technical manager of a company, head of commercial technical services (1976-1995). Manager of a steelworks (1995-1998).
- Member of the central committee of KSČM (Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia) (1995-1996).
- Councillor (since 1998). Chairman of the Audit Committee (since 2002). Councillor authorised to perform solemnisations (since 2002). Member of the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic (1998-2004). Vice-Chairman of the Subcommittee for the Presentation of the Czech Republic Abroad (1998). Vice-Chairman of the Committee for European Affairs (2002-2004)
- Komunistická strana Čech a Moravy - MEPs - Czech Republic
- EP Delegation to the EU-Ukraine Parliamentary Association Committee - Member
- EP Delegation to the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly - Member
- EP Delegation to the EU-Kazakhstan, EU-Kyrgyzstan, EU-Uzbekistan and EU-Tajikistan Parliamentary Cooperation Committees and for relations with Turkmenistan and Mongolia - Substitute