GUE/NGL
News

No deal yet on 2014-20 budget, EU lawmakers say

20 June 2013
Saudi Press Agency
 

Brussels, Sha'ban 11, 1434, Jun 20, 2013, SPA — The European Parliament on Thursday denied that a breakthrough deal had been achieved on the European Union's 2014-20 budget, pouring cold water on assertions by EU governments after two days of last-ditch negotiations, dpa reported.

“It is clear that there is no agreement from the European Parliament at this time,” said Hannes Swoboda, the leader of the legislature's socialist faction. “We will not take a rushed decision without due consideration … I cannot be blackmailed.” “On the basis of the disparate and partial evidence we have so far seen, an agreement has not yet been reached,” liberal democratic leader Guy Verhofstadt added.

Juergen Klute of the far-left GUE/NGL group accused the two other parties at the negotiating table – Ireland, which currently holds the EU's presidency, and the European Commission – of having “intentionally misled the public.” Conservative lawmaker Reimer Boege also spoke of “a rather objectionable manipulation” by the presidency. He told dpa that he would step down as parliamentary negotiator because he cannot recommend that the legislature approve the budget in its current shape.