GUE/NGL
News

L’Aquila EU relief funds ‘misused’

Italy earthquake: L'Aquila EU relief funds 'misused'

Source: BBC

The centre of L'Aquila still lies in ruins

A draft report has criticised what it calls the misuse of EU funds intended to help rebuild the Italian city of L'Aquila after an earthquake.

The EU released 494m euros (£418; $667m) from its Solidarity Fund after the devastating quake in 2009.

A European Parliament rapporteur, Soren Bo Sondergaard, found allegations that some money went to contractors with links to organised crime.

However, the European Commission rejected Mr Sondergaard's findings.

More than 300 people were killed in the quake and some 10,000 buildings damaged in L'Aquila and the Abruzzo region.

In his draft report, Mr Sondergaard said there were serious allegations that part of the money spent on building new accommodation for the quake's victims was paid to companies with “direct or indirect ties” to organised crime.

He also criticised as dangerous and unhealthy some of the new accommodation built in the town.

“Wanted criminals” were found at a factory run by one of the contractors, he added.

'Confusing' report

Much of the rapporteur's criticism is directed at the European Commission in Brussels, says the BBC's Alan Johnston in Rome.

Damaged buildings are being propped up by steel supports

Mr Sondergaard said it should have been much more diligent in its efforts to ensure that EU taxpayers' money was better spent.

The European Commission responded by accusing Mr Sondergaard, a Danish MEP, of creating confusion by “mixing observations on the general development of the reconstruction in L'Aquila with aspects related to the use of the EU Solidarity Fund grant”.

Defending the size of the funds released, the Commission insisted their use had been “monitored carefully”.

 

“The Commission rejects allegations that it had closed its eyes to misuse of EU funds”

 

“The Commission rejects allegations that it had closed its eyes to misuse of EU funds,” it said.

“On the contrary, non-respect of public procurement rules was discovered through the Commission's own audit of the use of the Solidarity Fund in Abruzzo and relevant EU funding was declared ineligible.”

There have been building projects on the town's outskirts to house victims of the quake, but reconstruction has barely begun in the town, our correspondent says.

The historic centre of L'Aquila is a ghost town. Its squares and alleyways are deserted, while damaged medieval buildings are being propped up on steel supports, he adds.

Mr Sondergaard's report is also scathing about the cost and the quality of some of the new accommodation.

Dozens of families had to be evacuated because their homes were “dangerous and unhealthy”, it says.

One accommodation area caught fire because of a faulty electrical system and there have been problems with sewers, water pipes and cracking walls.

Regarding the quality of houses, Massimo Cialente, mayor of L'Aquila, told the BBC: “Some of the houses built have never-ending issues and we spend lots of money repairing them.”

But on the subject of whether funds were misused, Mr Cialente said: “I am inclined to exclude the possibility.”

“There was lots of attention from judges and anti-mafia prosecutors to prevent this from happening. We will have to wait for the court documents.”

Just three months after the earthquake struck, Italy's then-Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi held a Group of Eight (G8) world powers summit in L'Aquila, having switched the summit venue in what he said was an effort to draw attention to the plight of local residents.

 

 

Financial times

 

November 5, 2013 5:14 pm

European report slams misuse of quake funds

By Giulia Segreti in Rome

©AFP

Notes of condolence are stuck to a closed bar in l'Aquila in 2012, three years

after the earthquake which killed more than 300 people

A European parliamentary committee has condemned Italy for the involvement of organised crime in contracts to rebuild the city of L’Aquila after a devastating earthquake in 2009 and accused Brussels of inadequate oversight of European reconstruction funds.

A report by Søren Bo Søndergaard, a Danish member of the committee for budgetary control, said some of the funds used to build new homes “were paid to companies with direct or indirect ties to organised crime”, and some subcontractors did not have obligatory certificates of non-mafia affiliation.

Mr Søndergaard also said “wanted criminals” had been discovered in one of the contractors’ factories and that European rules on public procurement were not respected, leading to cases of fraud.

The EU mobilised more than €490m from its Solidarity Fund and amended its European Regional Development programme in response to the quake which killed more than 300 people and made tens of thousands homeless.

 

The report, known as a working document, criticised the poor quality of newly built housing – despite costs exceeding standard accommodation – as “dangerous and unhealthy” with problems to electrical systems, sanitation and use of flammable materials. The committee is to discuss the report on Thursday.

Direct damage to the university town and surrounding villages was estimated at more than €10bn. Reconstruction activities were mainly supervised by the Department of Civil Protection, given special commissioning powers by the then centre-right government led by Silvio Berlusconi who hailed his response to the disaster as one of his administration’s crowning achievements.

Several probes into the misuse of emergency funds have been opened by Italian prosecutors, as well as investigations into how relatively modern buildings, including a university dormitory and a hospital, were seriously damaged by the quake measuring 5.8 to 5.9 on the Richter scale.

More than four years later much of the medieval centre remains uninhabitable, and local authorities are calling on the government for help to restore life to what resembles a ghost town. Mayor Massimo Cialente has repeatedly accused successive governments of allowing the city to die.

Much criticism in Mr Søndergaard’s report was directed at the European Commission which it accused of failing to ensure the correct use of EU funds and providing insufficient information and transparency.

The Commission rejected the allegations. A spokesman said the use of funds had been carefully monitored and called the committee report confusing, “mixing observations on the general development of the reconstruction . . . with aspects related to the use of the EU Solidarity Fund grant”.

“On the contrary, non-respect of public procurement rules was discovered through the commission’s own audit,” the spokesman said on Tuesday.

Stefania Pezzopane, a senator and former governor of the province of L’Aquila, urged the government to answer to parliament. She said the report risked compromising the future of the town.

Government officials declined to comment on the report.

EU CASH FOR QUAKE ZONE WAS STOLEN BY MAFIA

BY HANNAH ROBERTS

7 November 2013
Daily Mail
 

EU funding intended to help disaster victims has been diverted to the Mafia, according to a report by the European Parliament.

Money for relief and reconstruction efforts following a devastating earthquake in the Italian city of L'Aquila were 'misused' and relayed to companies with links to organised crime, it warns.

More than £450million from the EU's Solidarity Fund went to L'Aquila after the 2009 earthquake, which destroyed thousands of homes and left more than 300 people dead.

Subcontractors were required to have Mafia-free certification. But in a draft report on the aid's effectiveness, Danish MEP Soren Bo Sondergaard reported claims that some of the money was paid to companies with 'direct or indirect ties' to organised crime.

Wanted criminals were even found at one premises rebuilt with EU funds, it found.

The report also highlighted allegations by anti-Mafia prosecutor Olga Capasso over the funding for L'Aquila.

She said: 'Among the problems related to combating organised crime, Aquila is one of the biggest problem at national level.' The highly critical report also criticises work that was carried out as faulty, dangerous and unhealthy, with poor quality or flammable building materials used.

It accuses the European Commission of negligence and of allowing fraud to take place on its watch.

But the Commission rejected the allegation of misuse and insisted its distribution of funds had been 'monitored carefully'.

Some 10,000 buildings were destroyed in the earthquake, which measured 5.9 on the Richter scale. The medieval centre of L'Aquila remains uninhabitable and is expected to take 25 years to rebuild.

Tory MP Stewart Jackson last night said the scandal would fuel public concern over the EU's use of taxpayers' money.

'People will be rightly shocked,' he said. 'Not only has taxpayers' money been misspent, but people in dire need have not received the help they deserved.

'It is another tragic example of the activities of an organisation which is not just politically but also financially corrupt. British taxpayers are not willing to tolerate it any more.'

 

Il fatto quotidiano

Terremoto L’Aquila, Ue: “Prezzi gonfiati e infiltrazioni mafiose nella ricostruzione”

L'europarlamentare danese Soren Sondergaard ha redatto un dossier sull'utilizzo dei fondi europei, citato in un articolo di Repubblica. Nel rapporto si denunciano i costi esorbitanti, la scarsa qualità degli edifici, i legami del crimine organizzato con le imprese appaltatrici. L'Italia rischia di dovere rimborsare oltre 300 milioni di contributi a Bruxelles

di Redazione Il Fatto Quotidiano | 4 novembre 2013

La ricostruzione de L’Aquila nel mirino dell’Unione europea. L’europarlamentare danese Soren Sondergaard, deputato della Sinistra unitaria, ha redatto un dossier sull’utilizzo dei fondi europei dopo il terremoto del 6 aprile 2009, che fece 308 morti e 1600 feriti. Lo rivela un articolo di Repubblica, che riporta ampi passaggi della relazione. Nel rapporto, frutto di un’indagine lunga tre anni, si parla di prezzi gonfiati nella costruzione dei nuovi appartamenti, scarsa qualità degli edifici, infiltrazioni mafiose negli appalti e colpevoli negligenze da parte delle autorità italiane e comunitarie. Il documento sarà presentato e discusso al Parlamento europeo giovedì 7 novembre: l’Italia rischia di dovere rimborsare 350 milioni di contributi europei. Al centro della relazione, in particolare, i progetti Case (Complessi antisismici sostenibili ed ecocompatibili) e Map (Moduli abitativi provvisori).

Dal dossier emergono i dettagli di una costosissima ricostruzione. Le cifre citate da Sondergaard sono fornite direttamente dalla Corte dei Conti europea. Ogni appartamento è costato il 158% in più rispetto al valore di mercato: solo il calcestruzzo è stato pagato 4 milioni oltre il previsto, per non parlare dei pilastri degli edifici, che sono venuti a costare 21 milioni in più. E nonostante i prezzi esorbitanti, la qualità delle costruzioni, secondo il rapporto Ue, lascia a desiderare. Nel capitolo relativo ai Map, Moduli abitati provvisori, si parla di “materiale generalmente scarso, impianti elettrici difettosi, intonaco infiammabile e alcuni edifici evacuati per per ordine della magistratura perché pericolosi e insalubri”. In particolare, si fa riferimento a una struttura che ospitava 54 famiglie, fatte tutte allontanare dalle proprie abitazioni: “La persona responsabile per l’appalto pubblico è stata arrestata e altre 10 persone sono sotto inchiesta”. E come se non bastasse, la ricostruzione non ha toccato il centro storico: “Solo un paio di edifici (uno pubblico e uno privato) sono stati ricostruiti nella cosiddetta zona rossa”.

E ancora, il capitolo infiltrazioni mafiose. “Un numero di subappaltatori non disponeva del certificato antimafia“, si spiega nel dossier. La Protezione Civile avrebbe poi aumentato il ricorso al subappalto consentito dal 30 al 50 per cento. Nel rapporto si parla anche di un latitante scoperto nei cantieri della Edimo, azienda appaltatrice. E ancora: “Una parte dei fondi per i progetti Case e Map sono stati pagati a società con legami diretti o indiretti con la criminalità organizzata”. Infine, si fa notare che la Commissione bilancio Ue ha segnalato casi di frode alla Protezione Civile italiana, che però ha sistematicamente ignorato le indicazioni.

Il dossier di Sondergaard non risparmia critiche alla stessa Unione Europea. L’eurodeputato danese parla di “evidente negligenza” nell’ispezione di una delegazione in Abruzzo nel 2010, che ha steso una relazione senza menzionare i “problemi che sono stati portati alla sua attenzione da diversi deputati”. Non solo. Anche la Commissione bilancio Ue avrebbe lavorato a una propria valutazione dei conti della ricostruzione de L’Aquila, senza però diffondere i dati. Il dossier dell’eurodeputato danese ricorda la raccomandazione della Corte di giustizia: esigere dall’Italia il rimborso dei fondi europei “in caso, nel futuro, derivasse profitto dai progetti finanziati dall’Ue”. Infatti le normative comunitarie prevedono che i finanziamenti provenienti da Bruxelles non debbano “generare reddito”. Ma nelle nuove costruzioni de L’Aquila è previsto che, più avanti, si paghi l’affitto. Se così sarà, l’Italia dovrà restituire 350 milioni dei 494 ricevuti dopo il sisma.

Dalla relazione di Sondergaard, tuttavia, prende le distanze la stessa Commissione europea. Bruxelles definisce il rapporto “confuso” e si dice “estremamente preoccupata” per i risvolti mediatici del dossier. La Commissione respinge le insinuazioni sui mancati controlli e giudica “infondate” le critiche sul possibile uso futuro delle abitazioni del progetto Case. Inoltre afferma che i finanziamenti Ue potranno andare ad altre operazioni.

La repubblica

 

 

05/11/2013 06:08 IL TEMPO

Il danese irrompe sull’Aquila

La denuncia dell’europarlamentare Søren Bo Søndergaard Atto d’accusa contro la ricostruzione: «Tutto pìù costoso»

 

L’AQUILA Una stilettata contro L’Aquila, contro la ricostruzione. Una bomba fatta esplodere nel cuore della città quella di Søren Bo Søndergaard, ieri in Regione per accusare e cercare colpevoli. Accuse pesanti che rifanno il verso, forse in maniera esasperata, a quanto scritto in una relazione della Corte dei Conti dello scorso mese di febbraio in merito all’utilizzo dei finanziamenti dell’Unione europea per la ricostruzione. Parole e accuse che la Commissione in serata ha smentito ufficialmente. Case che sarebbero state troppo care, fondi comunitari spesi male, norme violate, materiali scadenti, appalti sospetti. E le accuse del membro danese della Cont, la commissione di controllo del bilancio di Bruxelles, sono state fatte ieri mattina all’Aquila. Un documento di lavoro sulla relazione speciale 20/2012 «La risposta del Fondo di solidarietà dell’Unione europea al terremoto del 2009 in Abruzzo: pertinenza e costo delle operazioni».

Søndergaard afferma di aver studiato la questione L’Aquila per tre anni e di aver scoperto che la Commissione di controllo del bilancio di Bruxelles ha messo tutto nero su bianco. Gli aquilani hanno scoperto ieri che esisteva Søndergaard e che da lontano osservava il processo di ricostruzione. Un dossier riservato, secretato a tutti tranne che ai parlamentari europei. Un dossier che verrà discusso giovedì in commissione. Una bomba a orologeria da quello che racconta Søndergaard. Dove le principali colpe sarebbero dell’Europa, che avrebbe omesso di denunciare all’autorità giudiziaria frodi e reati venuti alla luce durante le prime fasi della ricostruzione. Una bomba che da Bruxelles in serata è stata disinnescata. «Adesso la commissione deve rendere pubblico l’elenco di costi e spese», ha aggiunto Roberto Galtieri, collaboratore di Søndergaard. «Colpe dell’Europa per cui la Cont chiederà la procedura di infrazione nei confronti della Commissione bilancio. Solo in seguito verrà valutato il ruolo dell’Italia».

Il dossier della commissione è visionabile solo dai deputati, che non possono fotocopiarlo, divulgarlo all’esterno. «Non sono soddisfatto di quanto ho letto», afferma Søndergaard. Galtieri aggiunge che non si tratta di attacchi politici e soprattutto attacchi all’Italia. Ma sia l’esponente danese sia Galtieri sono rappresentanti dell’estrema sinistra, quella che sin dall’inizio ha attaccato metodi e gestione della Protezione civile. Galtieri ha sottolineato che Søndergaard non ha voluto fare riferimenti politici, ma forse sapeva che l’utilizzo delle sue accuse a tanto sarebbe arrivato.

Nella relazione a cui la Commissione bilancio sarà chiamata a rispondere si legge che «i dati presentati dal Dipartimento della Protezione civile a partire dalla visita della commissione Cont all'Aquila sono contraddittori. Infatti, il Dpc sostiene che l'Ue abbia contribuito al 3,5% dei costi, mentre in altri casi afferma che il contributo dell'Ue è pari al 27,67% dei costi; il costo complessivo del progetto Case ammonta a 809 milioni di euro per 185 edifici, ossia un costo medio di 4 372,97 euro a edificio. L'Fsue ha contribuito per 350 milioni di euro al finanziamento della costruzione di 80 moduli Case, ossia il 42% del totale degli edifici. Altri 8,2 edifici (4% del totale) sono stati finanziati con donazioni private; secondo la relazione speciale della Corte n. 24/2012, gli alloggi Case sono costati il 158% in più rispetto al prezzo di mercato; la relazione speciale della Corte n. 24/2012 ha messo in evidenza il costo elevato dei pilastri di acciaio . Tuttavia, la stessa società (Edimo) produce simili pilastri di calcestruzzo, che costano meno della metà dei pilastri in acciaio».

Non è di questa idea un altro membro della Commissione, l’eurodeputato Enzo Rivellini, del Ppe. «Credo ci sia molta demagogia e un attacco all’Italia», ha commentato Rivellini. «Sono stato in visita in Abruzzo. lo scorso 16 maggio ho incontrato il Procuratore della Repubblica, il Procuratore della Corte dei Conti, il presidente della Regione Chiodi e il sindaco Cialente. Accompagnato da Giandomenico Lepore, ex procuratore capo di Napoli. È stato evidenziato le difficoltà che c’erano ma nessuno scandalo straordinario. Dobbiamo esigere il massimo dai controlli ma nessuno mi ha evidenziato anomalie» E la Commissione Ue si dice «estremamente preoccupata per gli echi giornalistici sugli aiuti Ue in seguito al terremoto del 2009 in Abruzzo». Secondo la Commissione europea, che «respinge le insinuazioni secondo cui avrebbe chiuso gli occhi di fronte a un utilizzo scorretto dei fondi Ue», il progetto di relazione redatto dall'Europarlamentare danese Søndergaard «appare confuso: è un misto di osservazioni sugli sviluppi generali della ricostruzione dell'Aquila e di aspetti correlati all'utilizzo della sovvenzione del Fondo di solidarietà. Vale la pena ricordare che l'Ue ha erogato tramite il Fondo di solidarietà gli aiuti rapidi più urgenti per sostenere le autorità italiane. Tale sostegno e la correttezza nell'utilizzo di tali fondi sono stati attentamente monitorati dai servizi della Commissione».

Fabio Capolla