Bachelor’s degree in Public Law and a Master’s degree in History of Law.
After being in charge of the Mayor’s office in Chevigny-Saint-Sauveur, a suburb of Dijon, Vergiat joined, in 1983, the Socialist group in the French National Assembly where she worked until 1997. From September 1997 to December 1999, she worked as a technical counselor in Martine Aubry's office. Since 1999, she works as an agent in the French Ministry of Social Affairs.
She has been an activist in the Human Rights League since 1983, a member of its central committee until March 2005 and the president of its Seine-Saint-Denis federation from January 2000 to January 2008.
In the 2009 European election she was the top candidate for the Left Front list in the South-East constituency, and became a Member of the European Parliament.
Latest news from Left to boycott politicised Sakharov Prize ceremony
Latest events from CONFERENCE - Privatisation of Public Goods
- Maghreb and the Arab Maghreb Union - Substitute
- Relations with the Pan-African Parliament - Member
- Committee on Foreign Affairs - Substitute
- Sub-Committee on Human Rights - Member (C)
- Committee on Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs - Member