- Doctor of Medicine (General Medical Faculty, Kiev Medical Institute, 1979-1981); certificate of postgraduate study, grade one - internal medicine (1984); certificate of postgraduate study in cardiology (1989). Doctor (since 1981).
- Member of the executive board of the central committee of KSČM (Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia) (1995-1999). Chairman of the KSČM town committee for Plzeň City (1993-2003).
- Member of Plzeň City Council (1994-1998). Member of the Federal Assembly of the Czechoslovak Federal Republic (1990-1992). Member of the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic (since 1996). Vice-Chairman of the Committee for Social Policy and Health Care (2002-2004).
- Observer at the European Parliament (2003-2004). Member of the Chamber of Deputies' delegation to the Council of Europe (since 2002).
Latest news from ‘Put rights of people with disabilities before narrow business lobby interests,’ GUE/NGL urges MEPs
- Russia - Vice-Chair
- Moldova - Substitute
- EURONEST - Member
- NATO Parliamentary Assembly - Substitute
- Committee on Legal Affairs - Member
- Committee on Internal Market and Consumer Protection - Member